Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shopping Rant

So, I went Christmas shopping last night at Kohl's, one of my favorite stores. They had some really good deals and I thought I would pick up a few things for myself. I found one shirt that looked kind of cute and I thought I might like to try it on. I looked up at the sign to check the price and immediately put the item back and walked away. Why? you ask. Was the price really that bad? The answer is no, the price was great. The problem was the style name of the shirt.

They called it a "trapeze" top. I immediately had visions in my head of a giant circus tent. Now, who really wants to be wearing clothes that you associate with a circus? Not I. I freely admit that I am not in the best shape, might even go so far as to say I am fluffy. But, no way, no how am I going to buy something called a "trapeze" top. I might as well sign up for all three rings and let my belly be the ring master. NO THANKS!!! I have some pride.

Then they had a special section of jeans, not with the rest of the jeans. These were called "modern" fit jeans. I guess I don't have a "modern" body. I didn't think I was outdated, but apparently I am. I have CURVES, heaven forbid. Apparently, the "modern" body has none. I guess my genes didn't get the memo. I mean, sure, I can fit into those jeans, but, seriously, I could never bend over or sit unless I wanted to show the world my "assets". Now, I have a degree in Fashion Design and I think I am pretty fashion savvy. My teens still let me buy their clothes because they know I will always buy what is in fashion and what compliments their figures and style.

However, I don't know what merchandisers are thinking giving labels to clothing designed to make people feel bad about themselves. Really. If they want to market those styles, I'm sure that the marketing team could come up with better names for those styles. It's kind of like vanity sizing that couture designers do. If you are a size 8, go to their store and you are a size 4. Shopping there makes you feel good. Let's see more of that.

No comments: